I have recently upgraded my internet from VDSL (50/10) to gigabit (500/500) unfortunately this means that I have to use bell as an ISP and that means I needed to use their crappy home hub router/gateway. Initaly just set it up so my existing router would use the bell router as a bridge to talk to bells PPPoE network because I had no way to use the SFP ONT that is registered with their network until recently. my old TP-link consumer grade gigabit router was on its last legs (constantly crashing for no reason). I have been wanting to upgrade my network with a more professional setup and ended up getting a Mikrotik hAP AC router (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01BMMK4HI)since I wanted to keep the cost down while still having 802.11b/g/n/ac to cover my apartment (if i were in a house I would have gone for a 24 port router with distributed AP’s) and an SFP port and poe injection. Any way the MikroTik routerOS opens a lot of configuration possibilities (and head aches) that normal consumer routers dont offer like bypassing ISP hardware
Please note: this will not work if you have the TV bundle I have read something about bell using VLAN 37 for this but I do not have a tv subscription so I cant test it
After a week of tinkering and playing with my new toy I was able to get the router to work on bells GPON using the provided ONT (since it is white listed on their network)
- you need to get your LAN configured how you need it dhcp server, wifi, firewall rules, etc.
- remove the SFP module and Fiber from your Home hub (open the door on the router where the fiber enters)
- install the ONT and Fiber into your SFP when you open the sfp you should see the interface panel in RouterOS you should see the vendor info
- configure a VLAN with ID 35 and set its interface to use the SFP port
- setup a PPPoe interface using the B1 username and password from bell you can get this from the bell one bill system (including setting the password)
- tell the pppoe to use the VLAN you made earlier as its interface
- If all went well you should be online
bonus: I found that the default MTU is 1480. If I simply increased the MTU to 1520 (to bring the pppoe up to 1500) on the VLAN and SFP the SFP would start fragmenting packets and throwing Rx too long errors I guess it just doesn’t like jumbo packets all that much. I did find that if I brought the MTU to 1512 it would work fine (without errors) and the PPPoe was running at 1492.